Thursday, August 5, 2010

QR codes - the next big thing?

A couple of years ago, in my web wanderings, I found something called QR Codes.

I got a bit excited when I read about them because I could feel instinctively that there was something new and exciting here that I could harness, if I could only figure out how, and pretty importantly, if people would pick it up and run with it.

This Educause 7 Things You Must Know from 2009 will tell you what QR Codes are, and how you can use them.

Lately (as in the last few weeks) I've been getting information on papers and trials by other university libraries around the world on their use of QR Codes in information literacy. UTS in Sydney is trialling it, this guy has a few links to other sites using QR Codes. Just embedded below is a presentation with some embedded video from an Australian teacher in high school using QR Codes.



So, even though it is not on our mighty list of sites and apps to evaulate and blog about, it maybe of interest to you other educators out there interested in using Web 2.0 technologies in your teaching.

Of course, one of the major drawbacks about QR Codes is the data download charges incurred, but I think it is a good add on to parts of a course. The video can give you some ideas.

What are your thoughts on this?

No comments:

Post a Comment