Friday, September 17, 2010

Quizzes Pt. 3

Way-ay back in late July and early August, I made my first posts about quizzes, and how I had used Moodle to create a couple of quizzes for a course I teach, and I made a *ahem* promise to let you know how they went. Now it could be that I had forgot completely about that promise, or it could be I've been trying to keep y'all in suspense...

Anyways - I made two quizzes in Moodle, and now I'm going to tell you about my experiences with them.

1. I did impose a time frame upon them. An opening date and a closing date. For both I did extend the closing date. For the first because I decided to be generous, for the second we had an Internet outage at uni, so I thought I'd cut them some slack.

2. Automatic marking is unreal and awesome, and if I could do all my assessments that way I would. Not only because I am intrinsically lazy, but the power of the reports and tracking. I was able to see where my students were getting it right or getting it wrong. Couldn't do that before with bits of paper.

3. As part of the awesomeness of tracking, I was able to see before the quiz closed who had taken the quiz, who was still taking the quiz, and who had not yet attempted the quiz. I was then able to email or message those students to light a bit of a fire under them.

4. Don't give them short typed answer questions, you cannot begin to imagine all of the 'correct' answers and variations that people come up with. Your guesses are only the tip of the iceberg. I had to go in and manually add about 35 other answers to ensure that people weren't penalised for not thinking what I was thinking.

Over all, I give online quizzes a thumbs up. It may take a bit of time to write and format them, but I think it is well and truly worth it.

Now if only I could work out how to do an online referencing quiz where I don't have to go through and mark it, that would be even more awesome. Hmmmmm, I've seen a Flash based thing, now if only my Flash skills were better.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Peggy,

    I agree the moodle quiz function is great once you learn how to master the technology.
    I design online quizzes for the uni students to complete prior to their attendance at the workplace so they know which topics we will focus on in the placement.
    I got the IT team to create a 'play' moodle site for me where I can create or change quizzes as i don't actually convene any units (only teach into them)...so i was worried due to my lack of IT skills that I would ruin the convener's moodle page.
    When i have finalised the quiz, i just export all the data to the convener moodle site - it is quite handy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is exactly what I did. Asked my IT for a sandbox, messed around for the better part of a week - divining questions, working out how to 'program' the cloze questions, and then exported it into the live site.

    Apart from a few things (such as the cloze syntax) it wasn't too hard, although I was unreasonably stumped by inserting an image.

    Be glad when new Moodle comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Peggy,

    Inserting an image caused me grief too. I ended up uploading my images to MediaFire and then copying and pasting the html embed code into my quiz. That worked! I did my quiz in Script-O Pro - haven't tried this in Moodle yet.

    ReplyDelete